October 18, 2022 // by Jason White
Many of us in the homesteading movement are making major life changes as we work toward a simpler, but not necessarily easier, way of life. It takes great courage to step away from the security and familiarity of convention into a world that is, for many of us, unfamiliar. The promise of a better life drives us into that new world and the challenges we face are met with the determination to truly live the dream we have for ourselves and our families.
My guest today is someone who, three years ago, took that leap with his family into the world of homesteading. Leaving behind a mainstream, suburban life and a couple of corporate careers, Greg Sweeton and his wife Laura stepped out to carve out a new way of living for their family. They faced the new challenges of homestead living head on and, in just a few short years have developed systems of abundance for their family and the community that they live in.
Topics of discussion:
* How Greg raises New Zealand White rabbits, Dexter Cattle, hogs in silvopasture as well as utilizes multi-species rotational grazing with Cornish Cross chickens and Katahdin-Dorper Cross sheep.
* How health issues drove Greg and his wife toward a Keto diet and, ultimately buying a small farm/homestead.
* How the movie “Food, Inc.” was a major inspiration and the influence that Joel Salatin has had on their decision to homestead.
* His experience using a Chickshaw and Meatshaw, both designs by Justin Rhodes.
* Perfectionism and its hindrance to progress.
* Learning to adapt to your own homestead context through constant problem solving
* The joys of raising children on a homestead and homeschooling
* The challenges of leaving corporate life and consumer culture to become more independent and truly productive
* How they developed side hustles and eventually started Shepherd’s Crook Coffee.
* The philosophy of planning your homestead production around a seasonal diet.
BUY SHEPHERD’S CROOK COFFEE:
FOLLOW SHEPHERD’S CROOK ON INSTAGRAM:
FOLLOW TRUNORTH FARM ON INSTAGRAM:
SUPPORT THIS PODCAST:
VOICEOVER INTRO/OUTRO PROVIDED BY: